I’m stretching my “make recipes up” wings quite a lot at the moment. I keep seeing recipes and thinking “Mmm, that’s okay, but would be better if I did it like this…”
This is one of those. I love meatballs. I love carrots (as long as they’re very sweet and roasted). I love cheese and tomato sauce and onions. And I love things that can be made without much washing up. So I knew this recipe would be a good’un.
It’s very scrummy. Give it a go, dare ya.
Plus, making meatballs is fun!
You need to make about 15 meatballs, but it really depends on the size you want to make them.
Roast them with carrots…
…and make a rich tomato sauce to pour over them.
- 500g extra lean mince
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 350-400g carrots
- 1 onion
- Two cans of chopped tomato
- Grated cheese to sprinkle over the top (optional)
- Pasta or salad to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220C
- Put the mince, the egg and half a teaspoon of the cumin into a bowl. Add some black pepper and use your hands to mix everything together. Roll into 15 meatballs and spread out evenly in an ovenproof dish drizzled with oil
- Cut the carrots into batons and spread them out around the meatballs. Bake for 30-40 minutes, shaking the tin occasionally
- Whilst the meatballs and carrots are roasting, make the sauce. Chop the onions and fry them with the remaining cumin in a large, deep frying pan until they're soft. Tip in the passata and the can of chopped tomatoes in, add a tiny pinch of salt and stir well. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs and, if you're using it, sprinkle over the cheese
- Bake again until the cheese is bubbling