You know what sucks? When you make something that is dubbed by your boyfriend as “The best cookies you’ve ever made” and by a bunch of women, most of whom are bakers themselves, to be absolutely delicious….and realise that you forgot to take photos halfway through. And you’re too scared to make them again in case you eat them all in one go and instantly develop diabetes. Sorry, darlings, all you get with this one is an Instagram.
Anyway. These are a variation on my Malteser Cookies. I made them for the AWOT meet last week and they are absolutely delicious. I’m still fiddling with the quantities of condensed milk and chocolate to make these cookies absolutely perfect — I think this actually went the wrong way and was too gooey a recipe — but it you like rich, indulgent, sticky, chocolatey, caramelly, nougaty, soft-on-the-inside-crispy-crunchy-on-the-outside cookies, then these are for you.
And quite frankly, if you don’t like rich, indulgent, sticky, chocolatey, caramelly, nougaty, soft-on-the-inside-crispy-crunchy-on-the-outside cookies, where do you get your joy in life?!
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 250g condensed milk
- 250g self-raising flour
- 100g plain flour
- 250g Mars Bars
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale, just like if you're making a cake. Then stir in the condensed milk and beat it until smooth and lump-free
- Chop the Mars Bars into chunks (a very sticky job) and stir into the condensed milk mix. Then sift in the flour and combine to make a wet, sticky dough
- Take large pinches of the dough and put on the baking sheet, well spaced out. Flatten slightly with your fingers
- Bake for 17 minutes. Don't worry that they still seem very wet — they need to cool to become cookies. Leave to cool/solidify for five minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely Repeat until all the dough is used up
Usually I’d finish with another photo of the finished product, but I don’t have one! Why don’t you make them and send me a photo, and I’ll upload it here?
Love, Amy xx