When I asked my lovely housemate Max what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday, his only request was that it was fruity. I looked at what fruits were in season and decided I’d use that classic muffin flavour combination of lemon and blueberry to make a delicious lemon and blueberry cake.
The cake recipe is the same as my lemon drizzle cake. I then just added some blueberry icing and some more blueberries to decorate. As cakes go, this one was very good — it had disappeared within a few days, anyway.
You take a cake like this…
Whizz the blueberries in a blender or with a hand blender until they’re pureed.
Then make beautiful, pale buttercream.
And purple it up with the blueberries. Eventually you’ll have a lovely, thick blueberry icing sugar.
Smear this over the top of the cake and down the sides. Then decorate with lots of blueberries. Voila! A gorgeous lemon and blueberry cake.
Add a few candles and you have a beautiful birthday cake.
- 200g unsalted butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 lemons
- 250g self-raising flour
- 100ml milk
- 100g caster sugar
- Juice of 2 medium lemons
- 175g soft unsalted butter
- 300g sifted icing sugar
- 150g fresh or frozen blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and put the softened butter in a large mixing bowl with the beaten eggs, the sugar, the lemon zest, the sifted flour and 100ml milk. Beat until everything is mixed together and thick. Pour into a 20cm cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes
- Whilst it’s baking, whisk the juice and the sugar together. As soon as it’s out of the oven, poke the cake all over with a toothpick and spoon the drizzle over the top so it goes through the holes. Then leave it to cool completely in the tin
- Beat the butter until it’s soft. Then beat the icing sugar in, adding it a tablespoon at a time and beating until fully combined after each addition. This will give you lovely thick, pale icing sugar
- Whizz the blueberries in a blender or with a hand blender until they’re pureed. Add the blueberries to the icing a tablespoon at a time alog with a tablespoon of icing sugar, beating in fully until completely combined
- Smear this over the top of the cake and down the sides. Then decorate with lots of blueberries