These are for individual cottage pies. A cottage pie is a delicious meal, but an individual cottage pie is fancy. I make these quite a lot, when I feel like Garry and I deserve a treat. There is something so nice about eating cottage pies from your own ovenproof dish. It’s like a hug on your plate.
Anyway. These are fancified even more by the addition of beer and cheese. If you’re looking for a Slimming World friendly cottage pie, don’t add the beer and only use your Healthy Extra portion of cheese. Simple!
- 250g lean beef mince
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 200ml of beer
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of brown sauce
- 400g of floury potatoes
- A splash of milk
- A knob of butter
- 100g of strong cheddar
- Green veg to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C
- Peel the potatoes, cut into even sized chunks and boil for 20 minute until they slide off a fork. Drain, return to the pan and leave to steam dry
- Fry the mince with the onion until the mince is fully browned. Stir in the carrots, the ketchup and the brown sauce. Pour in the beer. Simmer on a medium-low heat for ten minutes
- Mash the potatoes with the milk, butter, some salt and a generous twist of black pepper. When fully mashed stir in 30g of the cheese.
- Put the mince in the ovenproof dishes and press down. Top with the potatoes. Even the potatoes out and add the cheese to the top
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve with the vegetables