I really suck at remembering when asparagus season is (It’s late April to late June, FYI). I don’t love asparagus but I do have several tasty recipes for it.
Thing is, there’s no point sharing these recipes unless you can go out and buy the damn asparagus to make them with. It’s like raving about how good an lipstick is when it’s just been discontinued – pointless, and actually kinda cruel. So now that’s there’s only a few weeks left of asparagus being its delicious best, you absolutely have to go out and buy some and make this chicken, bacon and asparagus stew. Do it now. Quick, before it goes out of season again.
I made this for my friend Katie. She and my other friend Tami come round for dinner all the time, and every time I make them asparagus based meals they roar with laughter about the “asparagus wees” they have afterwards. This was genuinely a phenomenon I was unaware of, but apparently a lot of people’s wee smells weird after eating asparagus.
I Googled it and apparently asparagus contains mercaptan, which your body breaks down when it digests the asparagus and makes a weird-smelling by-product from. But not everyone has the right chemicals in their stomach to make this particular smelly by-product, which is why I’ve never noticed oddly smelling wees. Some people have loads, which is why Katie only has to look at asparagus to do an asparagus wee.
Shall I stop talking about wee now? Okay.
The main reason I like this recipe is that it’s really, really salty. Not so salty you’re desperate for a drink after one mouthful, but salty enough to leave you smacking your lips and dipping the tips of your finger into the sauce to taste a little more. If you’re not a fan of salt, buy low-sodium soy sauce and stock cubes. Otherwise, make this and enjoy.
(And if you want another tip – grilled asparagus, poached egg, lots of salt on top. It’s perfect)
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, each stalk cut into four pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of ground ginger
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into strips
- 150ml of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 lemon
- Fry the asparagus and the garlic in a large pan for four minutes. Add the ground ginger and stir to coat. Remove from the pan
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook through - about 5-10 minutes. Remove from the pan
- Fry the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan
- Pour in the chicken stock and soy sauce and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan. Tip in the chicken, bacon and the asparagus and stir to combine. Turn off the heat, squeeze over the juice from the lemon and taste the liquid in the bottom of the pan. Add more lemon juice, salt/pepper and soy sauce as needed. Serve hot.