Nothing makes the day go by quicker than knowing you have something delicious to look forward to when you go home. And nothing makes the day go slower than realising you have to brave the supermarket to pick yourself up something to eat on the way home when you don’t even really know what that something is going to be. Fortunately, I have an easy way to get the former and ease the pain of the latter – decide at lunchtime that you’re going to make cajun chicken and bacon burgers when you go home.
I think this recipe is fairly healthy. Wholemeal bread rolls, skinless chicken breasts, low fat cheese, lean bacon, extra-light mayo, salad…there’s not really a lot to complain about, is there? Or maybe I have a different scale for what’s healthy and what’s not. The important things for me is that it keeps me nice and full so that I’m not tempted to raid the Curly Wurlys in the cupboard, and this definitely does that.
The spice mix I’ve used here could probably be used on a number of things. I’d love to see some burgers rubbed in this spice mix before they’re grilled – maybe that should be my next recipe? Or how about some pasta? What do you think – any ideas on what else I could use this seasoning on?
Anyway. These are almost as easy as they are tasty, so get to it!
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 4 rashers of back bacon
- 4 wholemeal rolls
- 4 tablespoons of extra light mayo
- 8 slices of reduced fat cheddar
- Iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1/2 a teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 a teaspoon of garlic salt
- A good pinch of black pepper
- Mix the seasoning spices together and set aside
- Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of clingfilm, one at a time, and use a rolling pin to bash them until they're about half their original size. Spray with a little oil, and coat each chicken breast in the seasoning
- Grill the chicken for 10 minutes on each side. Halfway through, add the bacon to the grill
- Split the buns and put a tablespoon of mayo on the bottom of each one. Add a handful of lettuce and a slice of cheese
- Top the cheese with the chicken breast, and add another slice of cheese on top of that. Finish with a slice of bacon and the top of the roll. Serve with chips and/or salad