Don’t look now, but….I think I’m doing a blog post.
No, I didn’t mean that! Look now, definitely do look now. Please read this. Please validate me.
In all seriousness, don’t read too much into this. This isn’t a grand return to blogging or anything – as this makes clear, I am very much not putting the pressure on myself to do anything at the moment. But I cooked this and I liked it and I thought you might like it too.
I made this on Bank Holiday Monday. Garry and I had just been for a long walk and wanted something filling and tasty and most of all quick. I had bought a floret of broccoli in Morrisons’s “Get it quick before it all turns to mush” discount sale the night before for 30p and I had some cured chorizo in the fridge, so I thought I’d throw this together. It was lovely. The heat of the chorizo mixes well with the sharpness of the lemon and the salty halloumi, and the rice soaks up all the flavours beautifully. It’s going straight on the list of tasty and quick recipes to make when you’re starving/got home from work at 9pm and need to eat before bed.
Sorry for the crap photo – I snapped it on my phone before I devoured it. But like I said, not a return to blogging. Just a nice recipe I wanted to share with you.
Sign up to my newsletter for an email of lovely things from me every Thursday.
- 1 small/medium floret of fresh broccoli
- The juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of oil (or spray oil)
- Salt and pepper
- 160g of halloumi
- 50g of chorizo
- A microwaveable sachet of brown rice
- Cut the broccoli into florets. Add to a bowl with the lemon juice and the salt and pepper. Drizzle over the oil, or spray well with oil, and stir to combine. Leave for half an hour
- Heat the grill to hot and grill the broccoli for 5 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, slice the halloumi and chorizo into 1cm slices
- Fry the halloumi in a hot frying pan for 1-2 minutes on each side and leave under a tea towel to stay warm. Put the rice on the microwave, then fry the chorizo until the oil starts to seep out
- When everything is cooked, toss together and serve immediately