I am SO EXCITED to share this recipe with you today, my darlings. I’ve been thinking about making this for months, and when I did it was SUCH a success. Garry recently said to me that this is the best thing I’ve cooked in a long while, and “considering almost everything you cook is delicious that’s saying something”
Let’s back up a bit.
I love KFC. If I’m ever given the choice between different fast-food places – Burger King, McDonalds etc – I always pick KFC. I have fond memories of my colleagues and I when I worked at Gamestation going down the hill and getting a KFC, which was something we only did on very special occasions. It’s something about the seasoning, about that lovely crumbly fried crispy skin, and then the juicy meat underneath.I love the Big Daddy Box Meal, a chicken burger with mayo and crisp lettuce and soft bread and a piece of chicken with tangy baked beans to dip your fries in. I know it’s horrifically bad for you, but it makes my heart happy (before it collapses underneath the weight of all that oil).
But, I’m actively trying to lose weight. Eating a KFC is not a good idea. I wanted to come up with something that had the taste and texture of KFC with less of the grease. Something that I could happily eat on Slimming World. This is what I came up with.
And actually, I think it tastes even better than KFC. Mainly because you don’t have to spend three hours groaning on the sofa and clutching your stomach afterwards.
The breadcrumb coating was made by mixing spices and wholemeal bread before whizzing in a food processor. I then just cut the chicken into strips, dip in the breadcrumbs and bake. Couldn’t be easier.
I know I say this a lot, but I REALLY recommend you make this. I’m really very excited by how delicious it is.
- Two chicken breasts
- Three slices of wholemeal bread
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt (or a teaspoon of salt and two diced garlic cloves)
- 3 tablespoons of paprika
- A hearty grind of black pepper
- Half a teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C
- Cut the chicken into strips
- Tear the bread into strips and put in a food processor along with all the spices. Pulse until the bread is in fine crumbs
- Beat the egg in a dish
- Dip the chicken strips in first the egg, then the breadcrumbs. Ensure it's evenly coated
- Bake for 20 minutes , then turn and bake for 15 minutes more
- Serve with chips/fries, salad, and curried baked beans
- You can use this basic recipe to make any kind of breaded chicken meal, such as burgers or wraps