Squash and Kidney Bean Chilli
My vegetarian recipe repertoire is expanding…
And this one is really good. I mean really, really good. I ate it all, and then I ate another bowl, and the next day I heated it up and had it for lunch. It’s that good.
It’s also another recipe where you can substitute squash for pumpkin — so if you’ve got carved pumpkins to use up, here’s another recipe where you can.
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of chilli power
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of oregano
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 butternut squash — peeled, deseeded and diced
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 4 carrots
- Drizzle a little oil in a frying pan and put over a medium-high heat. Then add the sliced onions and diced garlic and cook them until the onions are soft
- Add the chilli powder, paprika and oregano. Stir for a minute or so, then add the can of tomatoes and leave to simmer for another minute
- Transfer to a saucepan and add the squash, kidney beans, stock and sliced carrots. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat so it's simmering. Partially cover and simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove the lid and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- If you need to serve more than four people, you could always add some rice and/or salad